Beaufort, North Carolina
Beaufort is the easternmost town in the Crystal Coast region of Carteret County, North Carolina; the county seat; and the third-oldest town in the state. Established in 1713 on the Newport River, Beaufort was named after Henry Somerset, the Duke of Beaufort. Beaufort's two main claims to fame are its intact historical homes and its connection with the dreaded pirate Blackbeard. The town's name is pronounced differently than that of its South Carolina namesake; this Beaufort is "BO-furt"
18 imagesHistoric Graveyards in Beaufort North Carolina. Photos from St. Paul's Episcopal Church and the Old Burying Grounds. The Old Burying Ground grew up around the building used for sessions of the Court and for reading the service of the Anglican Church in St. John's Parish. The cemetery was deeded to the town of Beaufort in 1731 by Nathaniel Taylor, following the first survey. The northwest corner is the oldest part, with the earliest graves marked with shell, brick, or wooden slabs. Stone was too difficult to obtain. Characteristic of this period are the vaulted graves bricked over to protect them from water and wild animals. In the graveyard, you will find a "Girl in the Rum Barrel". She died at sea returning from England, but her father had promised her mother he would bring her back home. He did, inside a rum barrel.